YumeBoard 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YumeBoard 2.0

Talk about YU+ME, and other stuff

You are not connected. Please login or register

CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION

+118
euphoriosa
adam
siriusly
Kerushii
Bork
Bellevi
hatter
TallNose
Pahana
Mvibes
Ascension
Firepuppy
Dgcakes
wrdonerd
Uis Elveti
MysticMoggy
emeraldbeacon
spy_glass
insomniac
maquette
SerenityMoonstone
cherrybomb
4cm
CBrachyrhynchos
sheisakeeper
gravimetric
TheNozomi
Sporadic
Kitt
Foof
Kaleidoscopic
Ariadne3
Celesity_Darkflame
WRochelle87
Siubh
sticarus
Zx2_152
pinecone
purplefreak
ponds
Eclectic Kitty
darkrose072687
Dalaln
imirishletshug
Tsakara
Ana
anagram7507
Mercury
noclaf
Katalina
JennytheJew
BobtheDancingFlea
justclosethedoor
Limey
Sio
NCallahan
artisticheartbeat
vgaer
Skyes
grim
carafemme
Megabyte
Eldan
Hwyfar
edispee
maymay
BlueCanary1
Smurgleburf
Noelle
Gabe Puratekuta
Mrs. Abject
Allusion
teambates
clomle44
memoryloss
Joamette
peachWins
greengirl77
Roses Ablaze
Mask
Silverfish
Redrum
shanidl
MGH
Black&WhiteRainbow
girlyQ
lasteffect
Zelknolf
RD
Kugai
dracoangelica
Name?
Hiraku
Louisa
Gracefulfallen
Chuck_R
YazzyDream
Futch
KateKaleidoscopic
Flyinglemon
Katisanse
la_chinchilla
Tripz
Dinru
Somnimiles
Michael
shocklance
Lazer Nun
Crazy Aido
carl-E
Alanthion
freakingdork
Sara
Nicole
RainbowSprinkles
Edvard Munch
Jim North
Megan Rose
122 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 30 of 40]

726CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:33 pm

Kugai

Kugai

sheisakeeper wrote:
I don't see where Clandy could be the "rightful" ruler of Dream World. So far we have no real information as to how the king/queen is chosen.

As for my theory of the fight to be ruler I think I was just going by the Necromongers law of you keep what you kill. It would be a.... dramatic climax to the story. :-p

But does that make Fiona Riddick? Twisted Evil

http://kugaiavows.multiply.com/

727CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:59 pm

MysticMoggy

MysticMoggy

Hey, I've been reading forever but I've only just signed up. I thought I'd post a theory:

With all the hair and everything, the king reminds me of the baku - which could explain why Clandy knows it/him and why he used to be good. Sadako could have overpowered him and turned him into the baku and then making him serve her when needed.

(Btw - Megan, I'm a great fan of your work Very Happy )

728CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:35 pm

Megabyte

MysticMoggy wrote:Hey, I've been reading forever but I've only just signed up. I thought I'd post a theory:

With all the hair and everything, the king reminds me of the baku - which could explain why Clandy knows it/him and why he used to be good. Sadako could have overpowered him and turned him into the baku and then making him serve her when needed.

There's one scene where Clandestine says Baku is a good being and in another, Lia is playing with it. Perhaps the king was turned into a Baku, but if that's the case it isn't always evil. I agree with you that it serves Sadako when needed, but it might turn evil occasionally.

729CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:32 pm

la_chinchilla

emeraldbeacon wrote:I can't help but read the King's dialog as if spoken by Christopher Lee...
Funnily enough, I imagined Liam Neeson's voice. Ha, we should start a Yu+Me the Movie fantasy cast thread Razz

I am loving this theory about the king being the Baku.

730CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Spooky powers Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:25 am

sheisakeeper

sheisakeeper

Megabyte wrote:
MysticMoggy wrote:Hey, I've been reading forever but I've only just signed up. I thought I'd post a theory:

There's one scene where Clandestine says Baku is a good being and in another, Lia is playing with it. Perhaps the king was turned into a Baku, but if that's the case it isn't always evil. I agree with you that it serves Sadako when needed, but it might turn evil occasionally.

We know for sure that those people born into Nod don't have the power to change their surroundings like people from Earth can when in Nod, so it's entirely possible that Sadako just got drunk on the power when she found out about it.

I think it would be super neat if the king of Nod was the Baku. ^.^ The Baku is from Japanese myth after all and if Sadaku was going to change someone into something it makes sense she would go with a story she knows well.

*hops around waiting for Monday* <3 <3 <3

731CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:07 am

YazzyDream

YazzyDream

Roses Ablaze wrote:
YazzyDream wrote:I love the King. He looks tre awesome. Also, is that Clandy?! Omg, that would be so amazing.

EDIT*:
Also, was I the only one who noticed that Nod is Don spelled backwards? Because that was the first thing I thought of as soon as I saw the word. (I only caught up to reading all of this week's pages today.)

Conincidence? Maybe...Maybe not. Hahaha.

I kind of get the impression that Don isn't your average Dreamworlder.

Precisely.

http://yazzydream.deviantart.com

732CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:34 am

sheisakeeper

sheisakeeper

[quote="YazzyDream"]
Roses Ablaze wrote:
YazzyDream wrote:I love the King. He looks tre awesome. Also, is that Clandy?! Omg, that would be so amazing.

EDIT*:
Also, was I the only one who noticed that Nod is Don spelled backwards? Because that was the first thing I thought of as soon as I saw the word. (I only caught up to reading all of this week's pages today.)

Conincidence? Maybe...Maybe not. Hahaha.

I kind of get the impression that Don isn't your average Dreamworlder.

Wait a tic! Don's been wearing dark dark glasses the whole time he's telling us these stories. To hide his swirly eye as he is now the ruler of Nod? That would be so cool! (That was obvious wasn't it? It was. I'm sorry. I'm just so into this story!)

733CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:35 am

Uis Elveti

Uis Elveti

Hey... Sorry for posting this before even introducing myself on the forums, I just read this entire thread (obsessive? maybe, heh) and wanted to throw my few cents in.

First of all, HOLY SOCKS ON A BICYCLE. The King of Nod. Just... DANG. Shocked One page and his existence has already blown me away with epicness in epic proportions. I mean, just the three panels he shows up in develop quite an interesting (perhaps archetypical, but still) character. Props, Megan.

As for the unmistakable resemblance between the King and Sadako: I'm guessing that when she took over, she actually stole so much of his power that it caused her to look like him. Which brings up the King's foreshadowy line, "I am not afraid of what SHE will do to Nod. I am afraid of what Nod will do to HER." Certainly Nod screwed Sadako up quite a bit, but man, did she ever screw up Nod. Maybe you should have been a little more afraid, Your Majesty.

Also, hey look! It's pre-insane Clandy! At least that seems to be the most likely answer to the question of who that is. I guessed it before reading the thread, and it seems like most of the people on the thread have had the same idea. Anyway, may I say: D'awww. Pretty.

Something I am confused about: Why is Clandy, or whichever conscience that is, in Nod? As we saw from Mary's POV chapter, consciences have their own world. If it was unusual in 1867 for humans to travel to Nod, was the same true for consciences? It seems like Clandy and the King had some level of acquaintance. So, was she special, or do consciences in general just have spooky dimension-hopping abilities?

As for the speculation about Don being the current King of Nod, definitely had that thought mid-thread, glad I wasn't the only one. It would certainly explain the shades and apparent omniscience. Don's a good dude, I'd be happy to see him end up taking over and fixing things. If any character should do that, it should be him. Certainly not Lia. I read some people saying things like she should fight Sadako, be the ruler and make things better, but frankly I don't think she'd handle it well. I mean, people who rise to power tend to start out with good intentions, want to change things for the people's own good, just feel like they know better... and end up power tripping and making things really bad for a lot of people. And y'know, we don't know how Sadako got separated from her conscience (for those of us operating under the assumption that she did). For all we know she could have rejected her as the temptation of power grew stronger than the voice of reason. And we all know that Lia minus conscience equals centuries of brutal murder, sooo... probably not a good idea to put her in charge of the whole Dream World.

Here's what I think/hope for the ending: Fiona et al. will take down Sadako and No Face, with Clandy being the key factor, the one Sadako hadn't counted on. I think Clandy, if she is indeed Sadako's conscience, would still recognize her long-lost person pretty quickly, and (if)when Sadako is reunited with her and realizes what horrible things she's done, it'll hit her pretty hard. Possibly drive her insane. (Interestingly, Clandy would probably start to regain her sanity upon meeting her person.) Meanwhile, the rest of the gang will still have to deal with No Face and who/whatever he can conjure up to resist them. Although I kind of hope Lia stays true to her word and doesn't fight. I hope Lucy dies a noble death, protecting someone. (Maybe protecting Lia from having to either fight or die?) It seems like at this point that would be the best redemption possible for her. As I said, I hope Don takes control of the Dream World, which would probably involve an intense scene with him and Sadako. I hope/expect that after all is said and done, Fiona will choose to go back to the real world and live out her natural life. I think Lia, after what happened to her, would encourage that, however much it might hurt her to lose Fiona again. And I hope Lia finds something to do with the rest of her life in the Dream World that will keep her happy and fulfilled. But I hope their relationship continues a little longer ( Wink ) before they make the decision to part for good.

And seriously, I hope the ending makes me cry.

(so sorry for how obscenely long this is. I write a LOT. actually, if i'd responded to everything from months ago that i wanted to respond to, it would have been even longer. eeeek.)

734CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:55 pm

carl-E

carl-E

Uis, don't feel bad for the length - it was readable, and for internet forums that's a good thing. I may not agree with everything you said, but I do with most of it, and it was a good read.

And I don't hope the ending makes me cry - I know it will.

I wonder if the "eye of power" pops in and out, like Mad-eye Moody's eye in HP... Very Happy

735CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Uis Elveti

Uis Elveti

Heh, thank you. And while I doubt the eye would do that, it WOULD be pretty cool. Very Happy

736CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Kugai

Kugai

The Eye! THE EYE!!

Sauron would be proud. Twisted Evil

http://kugaiavows.multiply.com/

737CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:25 pm

Uis Elveti

Uis Elveti

Harry Potter AND Lord of the Rings references? I feel right at home.

738CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:18 am

Sporadic

Uis Elveti wrote:Harry Potter AND Lord of the Rings references? I feel right at home.

Yes, this is a nice place.

739CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:27 pm

cherrybomb

cherrybomb

I dunno about you guys, but I am counting down the hours until Monday afro

740CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:53 pm

carl-E

carl-E

Cherrybomb, so am I, so I'll ask...

I see your avatar is a collage from the anime Howl's Moving Castle. I watched it with my girls (they're teens) after reading the book to them (yeah, we still do that. I get to read a lot I wouldn't otherwise...)

And so I'm wondering if you've read it, or just saw the movie... there are some things in the book that get completely ignored in the movie, and they are amazing! the story goes so much deeper than what you see in the movie.

I know a lot of book/movie pairs go through that, but there are some aspects of Howl that are revealed in the book that are very Yu+Me in nature!

741CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:23 am

wrdonerd

@Carl-E
I wonder if the "eye of power" pops in and out, like Mad-eye Moody's eye in HP... Very Happy

I doubt it. I noticed that the position of the eye on the King of Nod mirrors its position on Sadako (it's on the left side of his face, it's on the right side of hers). so my theory is that at some point when she's evil, she'll rip it out of his head and stick it into hers.

if you were joking or being sarcastic, then I'm sorry for ruining the joke. I don't mean to be rude.

742CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:25 am

wrdonerd

also, is anyone else noticing that Sadako's teacher looks like a plump version of Sister Mary? do you think it's coincidental?

743CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:09 am

greengirl77

TBH I think Sadako is a bit a of a brat. She purposefully disobeys her dad and takes over dreamworld cus she can. Brat. yep she is a brat.
*edit: because I wrote this while on a caffeine high and didn't grammar check*

Last edited by greengirl77 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total

744CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:14 am

Mask

Mask

greengirl77 wrote:TBH I think Sadako is a bit a of a brat. She is purposefully disobeys her dad and takes over dreamworld cus she can. Brat. yep she is a brat.

Well we don't know that she purposefully takes over dreamworld yet. Though it looks that way. But maybe she doesn't realize the consequences of her actions when she begins and after she looses her conscience things just spiral out of control.

And how many of us follow what our parents say 100% of the time? That hardly makes us all brats.

745CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:19 am

greengirl77

Mask wrote:
greengirl77 wrote:TBH I think Sadako is a bit a of a brat. She purposefully disobeys her dad and takes over dreamworld cus she can. Brat. yep she is a brat.

Well we don't know that she purposefully takes over dreamworld yet. Though it looks that way. But maybe she doesn't realize the consequences of her actions when she begins and after she looses her conscience things just spiral out of control.

And how many of us follow what our parents say 100% of the time? That hardly makes us all brats.
that would be the definition of brat would it not?

Last edited by greengirl77 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

746CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:40 am

purplefreak

purplefreak

greengirl77 wrote:
that would be the definition of brat would it not?

No, a brat is one who never listens, and is spoiled rotten, and gets their way when they shouldn't. A brat is also a child who has figured out how to manipulate their parents, and uses this ability to their fullest extent.

Someone occasionally not listening to their parents is what we call normal. Kids think they know it all, what do dumb parents know? It is best said "I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger."

As far as Sadako goes, I refer back to the angsty discussion that she just needed somewhere to go that felt comfortable and easy and not so overwhelming and overbearing as her real world was.

747CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:56 am

darkrose072687

darkrose072687

greengirl77 wrote:TBH I think Sadako is a bit a of a brat. She is purposefully disobeys her dad and takes over dreamworld cus she can. Brat. yep she is a brat.

Are you sure its not just because you already have an intense dislike for her? God knows I feel sorry for her even though I hated her and I found myself mad at me for that. Really she is not a brat she was intensely mistreated and ignored.....

http://www.myspace.com/angeltaylor87

748CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:12 am

greengirl77

brat

c.1500, slang, "beggar's child," originally northern, Midlands and western England dialect word for "makeshift or ragged garment;" probably the same word as O.E. bratt "cloak," which is from a Celtic source (cf. O.Ir. bratt "cloak, cloth"). The modern meaning is perhaps from notion of "child's apron." Bratty is first recorded 1961. Hollywood Brat Pack (modeled on 1950s Rat Pack) is from 1985.
Online Etymology Dictionary, ©️ 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source

brat 1 (brāt)
n.
A child, especially a spoiled or ill-mannered one.

A child of a career military person.<<also could be applied.
She is still ill mannered in that she flatly refuses to obey her parent, however. I still think she is not exactly well mannered; her treatment by her father is one I find to be reasonable. I dunno maybe because in my own home when I was a kid it was more "go with the flow, this is life, get used to being disappointed sometimes" He seems to me not exactly treating her ill but trying to prepare her for the real world.

Last edited by greengirl77 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total

749CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:26 am

cherrybomb

cherrybomb

carl-E wrote:Cherrybomb, so am I, so I'll ask...

I see your avatar is a collage from the anime Howl's Moving Castle. I watched it with my girls (they're teens) after reading the book to them (yeah, we still do that. I get to read a lot I wouldn't otherwise...)

And so I'm wondering if you've read it, or just saw the movie... there are some things in the book that get completely ignored in the movie, and they are amazing! the story goes so much deeper than what you see in the movie.

I know a lot of book/movie pairs go through that, but there are some aspects of Howl that are revealed in the book that are very Yu+Me in nature!

When the film came out I was in Japan and had no idea that there was a book. I went to watch it pretty much as soon as it came out (the theatre was PACKED, my sister and I had to share a seat and some people were sitting on the floor) and I loved it so I searched online and found out that in fact its based on Diana Wynn Jones' novel. So I love reading and decided to get the book back home. But I live in Perth, Australia and for some reason it is really difficult to locate the book here! Still searching and will let you know if I find it haha Smile

I think what Miyazaki did in the film is amazing though. I am such a fan of his films I love you

750CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION - Page 30 Empty Re: CURRENT STORY DISCUSSION Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:03 am

carl-E

carl-E

Ah, then I won't spoil it for you!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 30 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum