YumeBoard 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YumeBoard 2.0

Talk about YU+ME, and other stuff

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why do you love YU+ME?

+25
PlinkoChips
Ami
rainlover
carl-E
copernicus
Avi den Kanashimi
sethtriggs
Flyinglemon
freakingdork
Kyon
TJ
Edvard Munch
Delicious Gin
RainbowSprinkles
newslang06
Somnimiles
Luridel
Eldan
Nicole
Everest
Midean
Silverware
douglas
axeslade
Danaidae
29 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Why do you love YU+ME? Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:47 pm

Danaidae

Danaidae

The reason I am hooked on YU+ME is that I identify with Fiona. I come from a Catholic home that was not accepting of homosexuality (although that has changed somewhat). I was best friends with the girl I loved who said yes to going out with me as long as it was kept a secret, and I was a freckle-faced, glasses wearing, curly haired weirdo. I had friends, but the popular opinion was that I was weird.

So who do you all identify with? And/or why do you love reading YU+ME?

2Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:13 pm

axeslade

axeslade

I read yu+me because...well, at first I just started reading it because I'd been on the look out for a good lesbian/queer webcomic. I love that, even in the beginning, it wasn't completely 'gay-centric'. There has always been plenty going on outside of Lia and Fiona's romance, and I loved that. I also love that their story hasn't been really a 'lesbian love story' but just a love story.

I also really identify with it, particularly since Fiona came out of the coma/went into Dreamland, becuase I'm in a long-distance relationship. And just seeing with Fiona is willing to go through for Lia helps make all of those comments people make about LDR's (not being worth it, how no one can stay faithful that long, blah-blah) totally roll off my back.

http://www.xanga.com/adelaytheboi/weblog/

3Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:20 pm

douglas

douglas

Well... first I loved it because it was a nice love story... and the drawings actually blow my mind.

But then I loved it because it got all freaky and I love a story that has a HUGE twist for the worst, but hope still remains...

As for the characters... I relate somewhat to Fi, I was always a bit weird and not really popular, it was easy for people to pick on me so it was reaaaaally difficult for me to get a date (I also started dating when I was 18 )... so it's pretty much that...

The fact that it is a gay comic it's not that relevant for me, al I see is a great (and freaky) love story

4Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Silverware

Silverware

I just found it on a random link from one of the other web-comics I read, which incidentally were all found by random links.
But I've kept reading because its such a good story, its original, funny at times, has great artwork, and keeps readers interested with unexpected twists.
Its a great web-comic and I hope I never see the day when it ends. Sad
Well unless Megan starts another. Razz

5Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Midean

Midean

It's a story where the main characters try to overcome and live for love.

6Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Everest

Well, I started reading because of a link I got...somewhere...of webcomics with gay and lesbian protagonists. I kept reading because it's one of the few webcomics out there that's really well done, and because I found a lot in Fiona to identify with.

And then the major twist came, and I was astonished.

It reminded me of a dream I had a few years back that spanned (in the dream) over a decade. Fiona's reaction was very similar to mine when I first woke up and realized that all the people I had met, the woman I fell in love with and married, and all the things I had done never existed...it was depressing. Obviously, I got over it, but it was a powerful feeling at the time. From that point on, though, I was hooked. I know a lot of people liked the first part better, but for me the story really started getting interesting at the twist.

Now we have something more interesting than just the story of one girl's first lesbian love. I have nothing against that kind of story, it's just been done before and generally relegates the main character to a passive role as she reacts to her new feelings for another girl. In YU+ME Fiona falls into a more active role trying to save her girlfriend. And of course the setting is crazy and whimsical and fun, too. All this makes for a must-read story as far as I'm concerned.

7Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Danaidae

Danaidae

axeslade, Good for you on the LDR issue. I know three successful couples who are all long distance. In my experience, the people who fervently believe LDRs can't work, are the people who can't handle them.

Everest, I agree that the twist is where things really get interesting. I'm such a fantasy addict that I was delighted when it happened. Its also scary to face your nightmares, and I respect Fiona a lot for going up against something scary and unknown to find the person she loves.

8Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:05 pm

Nicole

Nicole

I am a huge sucker for romance and story so that drew me in. I enjoy all of the characters and the twist certainly was a pleasant surprise that made the story unique.

9Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:37 am

Eldan

Eldan

The story is really interesting and I love different art styles.
Plus I'm bi (in a relationship with a man) and I really like reading about girl-girl romances.
Also I'm a day-dreamer and a person with really vivid night dreams - so I find a little bit of myself in the story.

10Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:31 pm

Luridel

becuase I'm in a long-distance relationship. And just seeing with Fiona is willing to go through for Lia helps make all of those comments people make about LDR's (not being worth it, how no one can stay faithful that long, blah-blah) totally roll off my back.

It's a story where the main characters try to overcome and live for love.

What they said.

In addition - I love the art, the varying styles are extremely captivating, and I want to see Fiona win in the end.

11Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:12 pm

Danaidae

Danaidae

The art is also a big part of it for me. There's always something new for my eyes to feast on. I know I'll never be bored by the art.

12Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:33 pm

axeslade

axeslade

Danaidae wrote: I know I'll never be bored by the art.
Ditto--I always get excited in the period between the end of one art style and the start of another. Smile

http://www.xanga.com/adelaytheboi/weblog/

13Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:25 am

Somnimiles

Somnimiles

I found Yu+Me from a link on the Penny & Aggie site, and have grown even more attached to Megan's characters than the ones in P&A.

Why do I love reading it? The characters. They're fascinating, and that is very rare. Combine that with a really good story and awesome art, and you're batting 1000. Also I'm just a sap for romance stories.

Who do I identify with? That one's a little tougher. Like Megan and Fiona, I had a dream-girl that I fell in love with too, many, many years ago, that made recurring appearances in a couple dozen dreams before disappearing. I miss her. Sometimes I think she shows up in the odd dream, on the rare times that I actually have one, but I'm never sure if it's her or just a fascimile. But the story concept is more what I identify with, I guess.

14Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:20 am

newslang06

newslang06

I started reading about 4 or 5 years ago (so way back when) and I read on and off for awhile. Eventually, as I got more in touch with the side of me that likes girls, I started reading more often. I guess around chapter 7 I started to stick it out for good.

I love the plot, I love the characters and I love how perfectly the twist works in with the rest of the story. The characters suck me in more than those in many books or comics I read. Sometimes I'll be with someone whose never read (most people I know) and be like "oh... man... I miss Jake..." or *laugh* "Don is here!" and they'll be like "Um.. Renee? Who're they?"

This is my second favorite webcomic of all time (Friendly Hostility is the first and Lesbian Pirates is the third) and I've read A LOT of webcomics in my day (I started at 12 and I'm 20)

15Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:46 am

RainbowSprinkles

RainbowSprinkles

My reasons for loving Yu+me have def changed alot as the comic progressed. When I first started reading it I loved it because the characters could easily be related to and it's fun to live someone else's life who is in a similar situation to your own. Obviously I can't relate AS MUCH to the characters or plot as before (for obvious reasons) but I continue to love it because even though the story style has changed alot it keeps me on my toes and I can't help but come back every MWF. what can I say? I'm addicted.

16Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Delicious Gin

I've always loved a story that dances between realism and fantasy. I could go on and on about examples I fell in love with, but the new YU+ME is one of them. The first... um, part, well I think it captured the confusion of being a teenager so well, that's what made me decide to stick with it. Nobody tells Fiona anything. What she does know is often contradicted by other things. And then there's the loves-me, loves-me-as-a-friend thing Lia had going for awhile... ah, it was all so sublime.

17Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Edvard Munch

Edvard Munch

Great art, great story. No fuzzy, over the top insanely soap-opera-esque romantic scenes, no uber rigid status quo trash, yet still realistic enough to understand.

In short, it is a perfect comic...so far . Wink

18Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:23 pm

TJ

TJ

I started reading it because a friend of mine loves it and thought I might relate to it. And she was right. First, I used to be way into dreams; I kept a detailed journal of my own for about five years, and even though I don't record them anymore, dreaming still fascinates me.

Second, I had that exquisitely horrible thing happen to me: I dreamed I met someone, we fell in love, and then I woke up. That was four years ago, and I STILL miss him and hope to see him again. I love rooting for Fiona; she's taking the situation into her own hands in a big way, and going after the same thing I've wished for.

The character I identify with best is Don, though. I'm not sure why. He's a bit enigmatic.

19Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Wed May 13, 2009 12:08 pm

Kyon

Kyon

It all started by TV Tropes. I wanted to discover new webcomics after years of following the same few series, and I was lured by that sentence in the TVT article :

Up until the end of issue 9, readers thought this was a case of Schoolgirl Lesbians living in Teen Drama. Issue 9 dropped a TON of drama bombs.

Oh, really ?

Then I followed the link, went in Archive Binge mode and really enjoyed my reading.

One thing I like in webcomics is that you can see page after page how much the artist improved in dialogs, drawings, cuttings, ... and in the case of YU+ME, the improvements were (and still are) spectacular. I like very much the idea of changing the art style regularly, because it suits very well the whole Dreamland concept.

I like YU+ME very much, before and after Fiona's awakening. Ending the story at the awakening would have been deceiving. I don't know how it will finish (obviously), but I know the most interesting part is yet to come.

Good luck and thank you, Miss Gedris !

http://www.megatokyo.fr

20Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Wed May 13, 2009 6:36 pm

freakingdork

freakingdork

Kyon wrote:It all started by TV Tropes. I wanted to discover new webcomics after years of following the same few series, and I was lured by that sentence in the TVT article :

Up until the end of issue 9, readers thought this was a case of Schoolgirl Lesbians living in Teen Drama. Issue 9 dropped a TON of drama bombs.

Oh, really ?

Then I followed the link, went in Archive Binge mode and really enjoyed my reading.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! I totally wrote up the TV Tropes entry for Yu+Me. Razz *does a happy dance*

21Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Wed May 13, 2009 7:36 pm

Kyon

Kyon

freakingdork wrote:Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! I totally wrote up the TV Tropes entry for Yu+Me. Razz *does a happy dance*
Nice move ^__^ and nice writing Wink TV Tropes is a dangerous place because of the trope binge, but also a very efficient way of advertising.

And now that I'm trapped... study

22Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Thu May 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Flyinglemon

Flyinglemon

Kyon wrote:
freakingdork wrote:Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! I totally wrote up the TV Tropes entry for Yu+Me. Razz *does a happy dance*
Nice move ^__^ and nice writing Wink TV Tropes is a dangerous place because of the trope binge, but also a very efficient way of advertising.

And now that I'm trapped... study
TVTropes is at the top on my personal list of black hole websites.

23Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Why I love Yu+me Tue May 26, 2009 2:58 pm

sethtriggs

sethtriggs

I don't think I've ever read a comic like this. The numerous changes of frame of reference, the idea in a sense that everything you know and desire is fake, that it's sometimes attractive to stay in a dream world...it's so heavy.

A friend referred me to this because of an unfair savaging the comic got on some snark wiki, and I am so glad I took the link. This comic is truly unique. I love the numerous genres it looks at. And the Hello Kitty segment was absolutely brilliant as just one example of the clever references.

I love so many of the characters, especially Mary and Fiona. I just wish...somehow...that Fiona could catch a break...just ONCE!

-Seth

http://www.bibp.com

24Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Wed May 27, 2009 5:24 am

Kyon

Kyon

I wanted to add something about Yu+Me, because I made a strange dream last week.
Now, I can't remember its contents, but it felt so realistic that for hours after I woke up, I couldn't tell the difference between what I lived in that dream and what I really lived the past few days the dream "lasted".

So if anyone felt the plot twist of Yu+Me Dream was unrealistic... Come on, after such a dream, how couldn't you want to dive into it again ?

25Why do you love YU+ME? Empty Re: Why do you love YU+ME? Wed May 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Avi den Kanashimi

Avi den Kanashimi

I find it odd I haven't said anything in this thread yet, so I guess I should say my reasonings.

I came in reading Yume because of 2 things: Lesbians and Dreams; since I knew in there somewhere that dreams were going to tie into the story WAY before the twist and being an avid day-dreamer my-self, I could relate to Fiona from the very start (although the demise in the beginning I can't really relate to as much since I didn't have that much drama). And when the big twist came, I just did a jig in my seat exclaiming "I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT", which is what makes me love Yu+me even more.

So basically, if I were to sum this up. I came for the Lesbians, stayed for the dreams, and loved it for all it's worth :3.

http://www.avidenkanashimi.deviantart.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum