YumeBoard 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YumeBoard 2.0

Talk about YU+ME, and other stuff

You are not connected. Please login or register

Did Fiona's family pull the plug on her at the hospital?

+3
Miki
after all
sapphiclight
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

sapphiclight

sapphiclight

I posted this in the main story section but never got any responses from people, so I'm trying again... I want to hear what other people think will happen in the epilogue of the story.

sapphiclight wrote:In Issue 9 Fiona "wakes up" in the hospital in her own world. She returns to Nod distant and upset because at the time the doctors had told Elizabeth, her step-mother, that "sometimes coma patients... RELAPSE. Fall asleep and never wake up again." Fiona also mentions, "They talked about... pulling the plug."

So did they? Is she now "dead" in the other world, where her physical/original body is? (Or was?)

It seemed to me that Fiona never intended to remain forever in Nod, or at least that she hadn't made that particular decision on her own just yet. But killing releasing Sadako and taking her place seems quite... permanent.

Then again, Part 2 of the story starts with Don remarking, "I really miss her. I suppose I can't blame her for leaving but..."

So does Don find a way for Fiona to return to her own world - still living? Do you think that finding a way for Lia to become one again with her conscience will coincide with finding a way for Fiona to return to her own world?

This is what I would like to see happen next in the epilogue. Fiona deserves to live and to date girls... her own age... in her own world.

http://www.marriedonmonday.com

after all

after all

I saw your post in the main thread! I was gonna reply but I felt like I was monopolizing the conversation already, so I didn't XD

Pretty much I agree with everything you said. I don't think Fiona needs to agree to be with someone FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE because Lia was her FIRST LOVE OMG. Girl needs to play the field a little Very Happy

Miki

Miki

I don't think she's dead yet due to what Don had said. I'm not entirely sure though.

Also, Fiona may not be solely lesbian, (I mean, in all honesty, she most likely is due to numerous things. XD) but her lesbian seemed to be sparked by her obsession with Lia. Her only friend, the only person who'd ever given her any positive attention and love. She may not be lesbian and just created a fixation with Lia, who happened to be a female. If Lia was a male, would Fiona love him just as much? Honestly, I think she would.

As for seeing other people, it's entirely up to her. If she truly loves Lia with all her heart, there's no reason not to stay with Lia even if it's the only person she's ever been with.

All in all though, if she goes back, she'll probably look for someone who reminds her of Lia.

And Fiona is pretty much 100% lesbian due to Megan's favoritism of lesbian and gay couples. XD The thing above was to be taken into consideration if you removed Megan's preference from Fiona. Still a high chance for her to be lesbian due to her first love being a girl, but it wouldn't make it 100% that she would be just interested in girls. But she's lesbian in this particular world so she'll probably find another woman to replace Lia.

4Did Fiona's family pull the plug on her at the hospital? Empty You're right... Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:48 pm

sapphiclight

sapphiclight

Miki wrote:
Also, Fiona may not be solely lesbian, (I mean, in all honesty, she most likely is due to numerous things. XD) but her lesbian seemed to be sparked by her obsession with Lia. Her only friend, the only person who'd ever given her any positive attention and love. She may not be lesbian and just created a fixation with Lia, who happened to be a female. If Lia was a male, would Fiona love him just as much? Honestly, I think she would.

And Fiona is pretty much 100% lesbian due to Megan's favoritism of lesbian and gay couples. XD The thing above was to be taken into consideration if you removed Megan's preference from Fiona.

Yeah, you're probably right... Fiona "came out" as lesbian during her dream, but that doesn't mean it's a label she'll permanently use to self-identify. The coming out process can suck for everybody, but I'm biased in that I think the process is slightly more complicated for bisexuals and trannies. (I'm bi, and my hubbie is trans/ftm.)

Sometimes bi people come out as gay as a way to recognize that queer part of themselves. It doesn't mean the "straight" part is completely non-existent. (Some gay people come out as "bi" first because they think it's like a stepping-stone, that their friends/family won't be "as freaked out" because they still supposedly like people of the opposite sex too, rather than viewing bisexuality as a valid permanent identity for themselves.)

You're right that Fiona as a character might find herself attracted to someone else, male or female, later in life and re-evaluate her self-labeling.

It doesn't help that the comic's only "declared" bisexual, Lia, whom Megan stated was a bisexual in the comments beneath one of the pages in Lia's background story, becomes a crazy serial killer when she's separated from her conscience in Nod.

Dude. For real. Not even Sadako was as bad as "Mara," whose name means "bitter." Mara makes those chicks from Bound and Basic Instinct look nice.

Maybe Megan's had a bad experience with bi girls. I hate when a few assholes paint the rest of us with stereotypes. One of my hubbie's co-workers once told me over drinks with her girlfirend, her gay brother, and her mom that she didn't believe bisexuals existed. My response: "Um, hello... Right here... I exist, right?"
And I'm totally into titties/pussy and balls/cock. Or just plain into people regardless of their packaging.

Still, I recognize that a LOT of people - queer or straight - are just into one or the other, not both sexes. I know I can have hetero privileges by being bi, but it's also like I'm a minority within a minority sometimes when people say "gay and lesbian" and leave people like me and my partner out... of the conversation or out of their agenda.

OK, that's the end of my bisexual rant...for now.

5Did Fiona's family pull the plug on her at the hospital? Empty A few things Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Megan Rose

Megan Rose
Admin

Mara actually means nightmare.

I prefer bisexual girls, actually. I am pretty well known for my pro-bi rants. I am aware of the shit you get from both sides, and of the stereotypes.

Lia isn't the only bisexual, though people only assume bisexuality if you actively show them dating both genders. Other characters are bi, but since the story was about Fiona and Lia, not them, we didn't explore their romantic lives.

I must say, it's a little insulting to hear that you think Fiona is only gay because she is somehow just a puppet of me, filled only with my preferences.

You've madeā€¦ a LOT of assumptions. The ones about the comic are fine. Whatever. But please don't make me out to be a bi-hating asshole. You're putting a lot of words into my mouth and assigning a lot of things to me that I not only don't embody, but actively spend a lot of time fighting. I'm not mad, but this is a friendly warning that taking personal hits at the author doesn't get you very far.

http://rosalarian.com

10chan

10chan

Okay, you know what? As a bisexual ~fan~ I'm insulted by the crap that's being spewed here.

If you folks are far too dense to realize this comic's central theme is not sexuality, but love itself. Favoritism? Please. Go find your soapbox about Titanic being favoritism just because there weren't any gay couples. Geez...

Yes, maybe some room *can* be made for 'playing the field', but this is the intensive, encompassing love of a <i>teenager</i> I haven't forgotten how obsessively and intensely I experienced love and relationships, how it defined my moods while at that age. I'm not the artist, but that's ~my~ view of translation.

Bisexuals have had hard times in some communities on both sides of the spectrum. I've been told I 'don't exist'..(I've also been told I define better as 'pansexual' which is probably accurate.) But, to support what is, in effect, presumptive bashing, makes YOU no better than the ignorance that has denied the worthiness of YOUR sexualiy and identity.

If you also think because Fiona still loves Lia that's a 'bad/evil and therefore must be shunned', then, perhaps you have never dealt with deep tragedy in love or family. So when your gramma has dementia and sporadically becomes physically abusive, maybe she should be euthanized like a dog that bites kids? Maybe her husband should stop loving her because, obviously, she isn't worthy of it.

I have no idea if this is an age thing, a life experience thing, or what. Tragic love stories have held us since Ancient Greece, Oedipus, Tristan and Isolde, Guenivere and Lancelot, Scott Summers and Jean Grey (And Wolverine). They're all hetero couples where the -story- has more value than the -genders-. Go bitch at those writers on how the story's been ruined by their obvious bias.(and how they must have women issues.)

K Thanks.

sapphiclight

sapphiclight

OK. I'll be more careful about making assumptions.

carl-E

carl-E

I can safely say this has been my life's philosophy for over 25 years;

Bi, Gay, Trans, Straight, just remember...

"Peoples is peoples"

Oh, and about the purported thread topic? I think Fi is still alive. After what happened to his wife, and now his daughter (through his own actions/inactions) I sincerely doubt her father would let the plug be pulled. If nothing else, I know he wants to apologize and reconcile if she ever awakens.

I know I would, and I haven't done anything nearly so horrible.

dolorien

As far as we know, Don could be bisexual. Hell, even Lucy or anyone in the DWLF could be bisexual, we just don't know because their private lives aren't in the plot.
As for 'pulling the plug', I've been tempted to write a 'fanfic' passage about Fiona's family at home myself. All I can think of is a well-meaning Elizabeth spending most of every day lonely, wondering if she could have done something differently to prevent Fiona's suicide attempt. Fiona's father is desperately working all hours to make sure the life support remains on, and not to lose the house. Elizabeth doesn't know if she should take a job or maintain the household to stop her husband from burning out, and she can't bear to look at Fiona's empty bedroom. She's become so crestfallen that not even Muffin, the dog that couldn't understand why Fiona hated him so much, can cheer her up. (Thinking about this too much made me feel sad and if I think about what Lia's parents went through, her Catholic mother lighting candles every day for God to wake up their little girl, I even get teary. I'm a big sook Very Happy)

As Fiona's only information on the affair and Angel's death is written in Angel's suicide note, I was even considering that there were genuine problems in the marriage (maybe Angel wasn't just simply a frustrated mother and was spiteful to her husband everyday out of bitterness) and Elizabeth wasn't the evil bitch that smugly destroyed everything. I'd love to know what happened on Elizabeth's side of the story- maybe Angel charged up to her screaming and calling her a whore, and Elizabeth's 'being a bitch' was actually a frightened young lady trying to defend herself and the man she loved in front of what appeared to be a hate-filled fishwife.
I have no idea on this myself, of course, but it's fun to play devil's advocate Very Happy

carl-E

carl-E

About Angel;

I tend to think she was clinically depressed. back in the day, post-partum depresson was just the "baby blues", and those women that suffered from it were expected to recover after a little while - "It'll pass".

But like other things, it didn't always pass. Fi was what, three? Can you imagine three years of clinical depression sapping your will to live and love?

And then your husband seems to give up on you, turning to someone else - I dunno, that part of the story seems too pat, there's probably more behind it than just philandering. You do tend to turn to others when you're in crisis and can't turn to the one you love (because she's the source of the crisis). Maybe Elizabeth started as a sympathetic ear.

There are so many untold stories here, Megan could mine them for years if she had a mind to. But they are background, and like all good art, background should probably stay there.

Well, some of it will, anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]