YumeBoard 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YumeBoard 2.0

Talk about YU+ME, and other stuff

You are not connected. Please login or register

Book suggestions

+5
Mrs. Abject
peejay
Blarg
Crazy Aido
Gully Foyle
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Book suggestions Empty Book suggestions Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:59 pm

Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

I am currently reading "The Boer War" by Thomas Packenham (if you are interested in African history I also recomend hid "Scramble for Africa").

I plan to then re-read 19 and 84, and then go on to The Stars my Destination (also re-read).

Have anyone any suggestions.

P.S. sorry about any bad spelling I'm tipsy.

2Book suggestions Empty Re: Book suggestions Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:56 am

Crazy Aido

If you like military history stuff, there are some good ones.

A bridge too far, then watch the movie. I swear when they're about to blow that bridge...

The last valley, by Martin Windrow, is about France's last big push in Indochina, simply because he's an excellent writer and puts everything in marvellous perspective.

Can't recommend anything else, unless you like reading government papers and unpublished theses.

*cries*

http://steinstreet.wikidot.com

3Book suggestions Empty Re: Book suggestions Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:49 pm

Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Am not all that interested in WW2 history books, must be all them TV documentaries. One history subject I would dearly love to see have an english language book on is the Thirty Years War. There doesn't seem to be any in print.

4Book suggestions Empty Re: Book suggestions Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:34 pm

Blarg

I personally have a taste for fantasy and sci-fi.

Here's a few I really enjoyed:

Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart

It's a faux-chinese fantasy story chronicling the adventures of Master Kao Li (who has a slight flaw in his character)and Number Ten Ox who is out to save his village from a mysterious magical disease.

The Initiate Brother and The Gatherer of Clouds by Sean Russell

Speaking of faux-chinese fantasy adventures, this is a very interesting tale of a very character driven plot. I don't really want to give anything away, but it is an excellent read and I whole heartedly recommend it.

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimon

This is the most hilarious book about the apocalypse ever.

The Discworld series (there's like 36 of them)by Terry Pratchett

Speaking of Terry Pratchett, this series is just completely awesome, has a great sense of humor and chalk full with amazing characters. It all takes place on a flat world carried by four giant elephants riding on the back of a gigantic tortoise that swims through space.

Snow Crash and The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

Snow Crash: The grandfather of cyber-punk. It follows the adventures of hacker named Hiro Protagonist. Has an interesting philosophical theory on the origins of language. Warning: Contains a fairly graphic sex scene (heterosexual in case you're wondering).

The Diamond Age: Nano-Technology! This is a rather complex and complicated book about a little girl who finds a nifty book that essentially raises her. Warning: Contains a weird sex rave orgy computer program/ritual thingy climaxing with somebody spontaneously self-combusting... this may or may not involve drugs.

Alrighty. That should probably keep people busy for a few months.

5Book suggestions Empty Re: Book suggestions Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:23 pm

peejay

Why not combine both military and Sci-fi?

The Honor Harrington series by David Weber and Fisherman's Hope series by David Feintuch are both excellent reads very Hornblower in space Very Happy or more tongue in cheek is Toby Frost's Space Captain Smith series.

Or a little more obscure is World War Z by Max Brooks - interesting premise and well executed.

Blessed be,

Peejay

6Book suggestions Empty Re: Book suggestions Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:07 pm

Mrs. Abject

Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabi and Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of The World by Haruki Murakami are two of my favorites. Coincidentially, they both deal with some of the same themes as YU+ME.

7Book suggestions Empty Re: Book suggestions Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:42 pm

Lazer Nun

Lazer Nun

Any book by Chuck Palahniuk. Except his nonfiction work, its rather boring.

8Book suggestions Empty Re: Book suggestions Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:18 am

Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Interesting I'll look into these if I can put my hands on them.

9Book suggestions Empty Re: Book suggestions Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Jim North

Jim North

Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Dante with a whole new modern flavor. Exquisitely well done.

http://jimnorth.deviantart.com

10Book suggestions Empty Re: Book suggestions Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:30 pm

shocklance

shocklance

For fantasy fans I've got a couple of series to recomend.

One of my personal favorites is the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. A great sereis of books that follows the Ohmsford family and thier adventures in the four lands.

Another great series is The Wheel of Time Fantasy adventure on a epic scale. Be warned, several of the books are around a thousand pages long and there are several plotlines going on at once. Glossarys are in the back of the books to help you keep track of people, places, monsters and terms.

Enjoy Smile

11Book suggestions Empty Re: Book suggestions Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Lazer Nun

Lazer Nun

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, for anyone who wants nonfiction that wont put them to sleep

12Book suggestions Empty Re: Book suggestions Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:38 am

Somnimiles

Somnimiles

Years ago a friend lent me a book called The Iron Dragon's Daughter that I really, really enjoyed. It's kind of fantasy-steampunk but not.

I'd also recommend Midnight at the Well of Souls by Jack L Chalker, and the rest of the Soul World series along with it. I think the first series had five books, and the second series written in the 90's had three, but the first book alone is a good enough read, and might get you hooked. It's kind of sci-fi, incorporating a few fantasy elements into a gigantic, epic, repeatedly universe-destroying storyline.

Last edited by Somnimiles on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added links)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]