YumeBoard 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YumeBoard 2.0

Talk about YU+ME, and other stuff

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who is Don? (theory)

+3
after all
Michael
cmacmac
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Who is Don? (theory) Empty Who is Don? (theory) Thu May 27, 2010 3:57 pm

cmacmac

cmacmac

I've been thinking about Don for a while now. He's an odd character with possibly the least explanation or character background. Now almost all of the other characters in Yume have has a reason or a purpose for being in the story. I have a theory about Don but before I give you my theory, let's look at what we know.

-Don changes his hair quite a bit, strangely this is almost like how dreamworld changes art styles.

-Don is a dream world citizen who works as an actor. Though excluding Fiona's dream he has only been in small dream. (Page 613) This strikes me as odd because Jake was chosen to be a main character because he was famous and Lucy because they had use for he later. Don was pretty much a nobody.

-Thanks to Sexy_Un's post we see during the times Don is telling us the story (we assume that this is to be after everything is finally over) we only see ONE of his eyes (page 448)

-Now looking a the old king of Nod (Page 760) and Sadako (page 785) that it does not matter weather of not the special eye is on the right or left.

-Don has ALWAYS been helping fiona. He helps her during her dream (page 238) and outside of it as well(page 575).

-Don has been (almost unrealisticly) the most caring, empathetic, and understanding character in all of Yume. How could someone be so selfless? Unless, they are not really a person....

Ok ok, before you run off going 'WHAT!!!! YOU ARE CRAZY!!! DON IS REAL!!! I KNOW IT!!! IN FACT I SAW HIM AT WAL-MART BUYING HAIR DYE LAST WEEK!!!" Well, I never said he wasn't real, just not necessarily a person in the way that Fiona, or Mary, or even Lucy is. (Also if you saw Don at Wal-Mart last week YOU are the one who is crazy.) I believe That Don is more of a personification of Nod. He seems to understand everyone in Dream world and always helps those that can help Nod. We don't see his left eye in the flash forwards so this could indicate he will become King of Nod, but this seems unlikely to me because I doubt he would want to ever harm Fiona.

My last piece of proof to attempt to prove my theory is actually quite simple. A possible literary tactic used by Megan Rose Gedris that is so vague I in fact missed it until today.

Let's look at Don's name

DON

Now flip the letters.

NOD

Interesting right? I thought so.

I want to open debate to this, if there are holes in my theory let me know. If you really did see Don, let us know that too I guess. Please note that this is my THEORY, and one of many. Thank you for your time. elephant

2Who is Don? (theory) Empty Re: Who is Don? (theory) Thu May 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Michael

Kinda like a Mirror in the Night Watch books.

3Who is Don? (theory) Empty Re: Who is Don? (theory) Thu May 27, 2010 7:43 pm

cmacmac

cmacmac

I have not read those books. What do you mean by mirror?

(Also are the books good because I'm always looking for new books.)

4Who is Don? (theory) Empty Re: Who is Don? (theory) Thu May 27, 2010 9:41 pm

after all

after all

Or like Fiddler's Green in the Sandman comics?

If Don is a personification of Nod, though, I doubt he himself knows it-- he didn't think he had power outside of dreamers' heads until Clandy reminded him he did. That doesn't mean he isn't, though!

The Clandy scene could even support this theory. Would a normal resident of Nod be able to do "anything"?

5Who is Don? (theory) Empty Re: Who is Don? (theory) Fri May 28, 2010 3:45 am

Moony

Moony

From the beginning of the second half of YU+ME, I've been thinking along the lines of this... Especially the lack of seeing Don's eyes tipped it off to me at least.

You're points are valid for argument/debate if I can say so. lol Though, I suppose this doesn't help if I agree with what you are saying.

http://www.jadedsanity.deviantart.com

6Who is Don? (theory) Empty Re: Who is Don? (theory) Fri May 28, 2010 8:40 am

Michael

The Night Watch books are very good. Black Magic and White Magic in post-communist Russia, with enough reality that the light is every bit as corrupt as the dark.

Spoiler:

7Who is Don? (theory) Empty Re: Who is Don? (theory) Fri May 28, 2010 10:25 am

Somnimiles

Somnimiles

Nice theory. Kind of like Simkin from the Darksword books. I don't want to buy into it though. I like the idea that Don's as selfless as he is just because that's who he is.

8Who is Don? (theory) Empty Re: Who is Don? (theory) Mon May 31, 2010 12:59 am

Nick

Damn it, I just signed up to the boards to share this theory I just had.

It was pretty much "wait a second, this is the last scene, and there's Don....the only way for Fiona to not be queen of Nod is for her to be killed by somebody strong willed...and in that old strip, Don mentioned Fiona needing to leave and how he missed her....and in that strip one of his eyes was covered by his sunglasses...also why else would he be sitting in that big chair telling the story, with a box exclusively about Fiona? Quick! I must sign up to the boards to alert the other readers!"

In any case, long story short I second this theory. I am still looking forward to the conclusion of this story, I have been an avid reader since I first clicked the little "LESBIANS!" banner on Questionable Content.

9Who is Don? (theory) Empty Re: Who is Don? (theory) Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:14 am

Wisdom Thumbs

Wisdom Thumbs

This is why I shouldn't read the message boards for my favorite comics, especially when they're so close to ending! Now the twist has probably been given away and it won't have the same emotional resonance for me.

Gorrammit.

http://thecreativeforums.myfastforum.org/index.php

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum