YumeBoard 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YumeBoard 2.0

Talk about YU+ME, and other stuff

You are not connected. Please login or register

Similarities with other venues

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Similarities with other venues Empty Similarities with other venues Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:13 pm

Mr. Toasty

*Technically* this is not about YU+ME, but more on the lines of two venues that I have noticed that are remarkably similar.

**SPOILERS ABOUND, YE SCURVY SCALLIWAGS!**

The first similarity that immediately popped into my mind was Revolutionary Girl Utena. If you have seen the anime or movie, you'll probably know what I mean. If not, the (very general) premise is that a girl named Utena, wishing to emulate a prince, wears a rose crest ring, and enters into the dreamlike and nightmarish surreal school Ohtori Academy (which *can* be seen as both). There, she meets a mysterious, soft-spoken, submissive, aloof woman named Anthy, the Rose Bride, who is evidently a prize to be fought over by duelists. Naturally, Utena gets into a duel herself, and becomes "engaged" to the Rose Bride. And that is the easy part. The entire story is an upside-down mind-bending saga of characters who choose desire over their duty, where nothing is what it seems (sounds cliche, but TRUST ME), and where sexual deviancy runs rampant (all the more so since nearly all of it is suggested). It's made by the same genius who coughed up Sailor Moon, but in my opinion, a MUCH better story (and far, far, far shorter).

The second is the Nintendo DS game "The World Ends with You". The premise is that the main character, Neku, finds himself more or less trapped in Shibuya, Japan, playing a "Reaper Game" of sorts, where he must work together with a partner and survive seven days in order to win back what was taken from him--that which is most precious. The thing is, though, Neku and his partner may not be in the real world as we know it, and as is always the case, nothing is as it seems.

Just wondering if anybody's seen or experienced anything else that made them think, "Hmm, y'know, this is a lot like that webcomic I read online, the one with teh hawtz lebsians."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum