YumeBoard 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YumeBoard 2.0

Talk about YU+ME, and other stuff

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dying computer trouble?

+3
Michael
Megan Rose
Firepuppy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dying computer trouble? Empty Dying computer trouble? Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:36 am

Firepuppy

I don't know how much you know about the actual workings of your computer, Megan, but: if you have reasonable reasoning skills (which I think you do...), try downloading and running HijackThis! ... it checks your system and comes up with a list and/or logfile of everything that happens when you boot up your computer. What programs load automatically, what websites want to control your explorer, etc.

You have to either REALLY know what you're doing, or be able to suspect it. When in doubt, Open File Location and take a look at what else is in the folder for the setting or file in question. If there's a lot of links that end in "(file missing)" you can safely delete those (check the box on the left side), and should. They still take up a little memory as the computer tries to access them, y'see...

2Dying computer trouble? Empty Re: Dying computer trouble? Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:33 am

Megan Rose

Megan Rose
Admin

I'm 99% sure it isn't a virus, seeing as how my computer hasn't been on the internet AT ALL since I reformatted it.
I'm about 80% sure it's my hard drive dying. At this point, I am creating a sort of computer hospice, just trying to make things more comfortable while it dies.

http://rosalarian.com

3Dying computer trouble? Empty Re: Dying computer trouble? Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:06 pm

Michael

If you are correct then I would bet money that you have all the skills required to replace a hard drive.

4Dying computer trouble? Empty Re: Dying computer trouble? Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:32 am

freakingdork

freakingdork

The computer is pretty old and since she is saving up to get a nice, new Mac to use instead....why would she replace the hard drive? I dunno.

5Dying computer trouble? Empty Re: Dying computer trouble? Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:10 am

Zelknolf

Well, 100 GB hard drive is like $30, and a new Mac is substantially more. Sure, those hard drives are old models, but even with an archive of extremely-high-res images that would go with an artistic hobby, filling up a hundred gigs would take some friggin' time.

Depending on how long it'd take to save up for that Mac, a "new" (read: finding an old model that a store is trying to get rid of after the winter holidays) hard drive might be a good idea.

6Dying computer trouble? Empty Re: Dying computer trouble? Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:34 am

Futch

Futch

100 GB takes almost no time to fill up, and I'm sure she has extra hard drives. This is only the last straw in a series of craptacular failures by her computer, problems that entirely related to Windows. Macs don't have the problems she's been having, at least not nearly as often. Yes, Macs are expensive, but they are just so, so superior. And Megan works with Macs at work, so she knows what she's getting into.

http://futchofficial.blogspot.com

7Dying computer trouble? Empty Re: Dying computer trouble? Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Somnimiles

Somnimiles

Yeah, even I have to admit - as much as I loathe Macs, If you know how to use one well enough, they're a lot better for artists. I had to try and fix a mac laptop for my uncle last Christmas, to no avail because I know next to nothing about macs... and because he spilled a triple chai latte into the keyboard. But he owns a small recording studio in Nashville and uses macs for all of his music business.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum