YumeBoard 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YumeBoard 2.0

Talk about YU+ME, and other stuff

You are not connected. Please login or register

I think... I have just been converted...

+4
Somnimiles
Widdershins
Monster
lasteffect
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I think... I have just been converted... Empty I think... I have just been converted... Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:26 am

lasteffect

I am now a Trekkie. What? Did surprise you?

Well, I just watched the new Star Trek movie... and it blew me away. I can't believe my stupid self try to be all high and mighty about Star Wars, never giving Star Trek a chance, until recently. I accidentally started watching Enterprise, because that episode had Keith Caridine in it (And I was use to his reoccurring role as Agent Lundy on Dexter), even though he was on there for that episode... I kept going with it.

Now, on to my thoughts after the movie was over. I want more. I'm not rejecting Star Wars with all its flaws, but accepting the Treks. I want more. I want to watch the original show, all of the other movies... Even the ones that sucked (If I sit through Menace just to watch the fight scene at the end, I can sit through the first Trek movie).

I think fanboyism needs to die, except if its those damn Rings movies... I think they should burn. Three movies of pure walking to a volcano is a rip off.

As I write this, I know some might look at this and see a mirrored view of how other go through with straight, gay, or bi people... but I tend to think the Sci-fi world is a bit more cut throat than others perceive it as. But at least I beat you to it.

Monster

Monster

you horrible horrible person.

Just kidding.

I'm a Wars and Trek fan to be honest. I can't choose between Bota Fet and Captain James T. Kirk. Let's just all agree that both shows have some epic qualities about them.

Even being a Trek fan can have it's own battle. You have those who love Picard and those who love Kirk. Personally, I love Kirk. Shatner rocked the role and the cheesy affects were just splendid.

I agree about Ring movies though. Gag.

http://drunkduck.com/Pop

lasteffect

Yeah, I don't know whats better: The Vulcan Nerve Pinch or moving sh!t with your mind?

But to defend the rings for one moment... Book form was great, I read all three before the movies existed, but Still... Damn you, Rings... Damn you!

Boba Fett is awesome. But, ever played Kotor? Canderous Ordo's the Man-dolrian. Ha! That and HK47.

Bioware should've wrote Menace thru Revenge, not Lucas.

I dunno, I think I'm more a fan of Spock than Kirk, not saying Kirk isn't badass, but... It's Spock! I though Enterprise's T'Pol was hot. Just thinking about her... wow... lol.

Widdershins

Yes yes yes!

I am a hardcore Trekkie! And I am also incredibly excited that my spellcheck has no problem with the word "Trekkie" (though it does with "spellcheck". hmm.)

I find Star Trek infinitely better than Star Wars. I do like the old Star Wars films (the newer ones are iffy to me), but the plot is not that interesting, it's all about the action. But Star Trek has interesting plots, likable characters, and the special effects are not too terribly campy, even if you're watching the original series today.

Kirk or Picard...well...that depends on whether you're going for entertainment value or starship captain value. Wink

My favorite characters in the original series were Spock, of course, and Chekov. I love Chekov!

Somnimiles

Somnimiles

I loathe Star Trek. I didn't used to, I was a trekkie when I was a kid, but about halfway through Next Generation I started to realize how masturbatory and pretentious the "Federation" is on that show. It's an unrealistic "perfect society" where no one does any real wrong, and everyone's enlightened and happy-happy. Hell, the ONE time they ever had a corrupt Federation officer/conspiracy on the show, it was a two-hour "OMG THE UNIVERSE IS ENDING!" event, and it all turned out to be little bug alien things possessing people, anyway.

Also the Federation is communist. They have no money. (I really just like saying this to piss off trekkies.)

And don't even get me started on Star Wars, and the Jedi. Love kills Jedi. Love, probably the most beautiful and important thing in existence, is something evil and corrupting and will kill you so you can't have it and must take a vow of chastity. Really?

Holy shit the Jedi are Catholic.

Kugai

Kugai

Myself, while I don't consider myself either a Trekkie or a Trekker, I am a fan of Star Trek. I was neither yay or nay on the new Reboot, but after seeing it, I can say that I actually liked it. I think if it works, and the promised sequels work out, this may be a good restart to the Franchise since Pollar and Berman murdered it.

As for the LoTR films, I like them. OK, their not perfect, after all we're talking about a classic of Fiction/Fantasy here, but PJ did a damned good job on filming a story that some said was unfilmable.

http://kugaiavows.multiply.com/

carl-E

carl-E

It's all good.

No, really, it is! Well, at least the good parts are.

I watched the original Star Treks as a kid, and loved 'em - nothing like it before, so you can't fault it there. The effects were pretty good for the time, too. Watching the first Star Wars just blew me away. After the original trilogy, though, episode 1 was a snore, and I never saw the rest. Never got into TNG either, but I loved DS9. I think it was all the political intrigue (see somnimilies' statement about the federation above). Cardasians, Bejorans, and Odo - oh, my!

But to be honest I just don't get into it all that much anymore. I hear Enterprise was pretty good, but I never saw it, ans I don't make it to many movies, so I haven't seen any of them since... Search for Spock, I think?

I had to see LotR, though. Grew up with it, my mom read me the Hobbit when I was little. And it was good. Not perfect, but what it did, it did very well.

So, that's my $.02.

Besides, I spend all my time reading and posting on webcomics forums...

Kugai

Kugai

Enterprise was good in it's first Season, then went downhill in the second after introducing the whole 'Temporal Cold War' plot.

There was great potential there, the whole founding of the Federation, the Earth/Romulan War etc, but Pillar and Braga blew it.

http://kugaiavows.multiply.com/

Mask

Mask

Shut up. Lord of the Rings is amazing.

It's slow, but it's really great story telling. Tolkien created a whole mythology, but a mythology where the main characters aren't total assholes. Not to say they don't have their moments but that just makes them human, or well hobbit.

Plus there's Pippin and the Ents. Come on, how can you not like a story where trees finally rise up and get their revenge.

And the scenery was amazing, the shots of New Zealand combined with the designs of the elven worlds and the mines of the dwarves were fantastic. It's just so fun to watch, it really takes you on a journey.

And there's Eowyn who just kicks so much ass.

You don't have to like LotR. But it's more than just walking to a volcano and I had to speak up because you were insulting me anyway.

And yes I like Star Wars and Star Trek as well.

Xshu

Somnimiles wrote:And don't even get me started on Star Wars, and the Jedi. Love kills Jedi. Love, probably the most beautiful and important thing in existence, is something evil and corrupting and will kill you so you can't have it and must take a vow of chastity. Really?
Yeah, it's pretty widely accepted by the fandom at this point that the old Jedi philosophy was flawed. In the RPG "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" you meet a hermit Jedi half-way between the dark and light side, and he expresses concerns that the Jedi are looking at love all wrong. He has this whole speech about how love and passion aren't the same thing, and how the Jedi should teach their students how to control passion while remaining in love instead of writing love off as too risky.

Or you could just accept that the Dark Side isn't all that bad and the Jedi are stuffy old men. Sure the Sith are populated largely by douchebags, but their philosophy is pretty solid: Passion + The Force = Power = Victory = Freedom.

Edit: Wow, epic threadliching. I didn't notice how long it'd been since somebody posted in here. Woops!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum