YumeBoard 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
YumeBoard 2.0

Talk about YU+ME, and other stuff

You are not connected. Please login or register

More words for love

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1More words for love Empty More words for love Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:46 am

ElectricDeity

There aren't really more words for love in the English language, but thanks to Latin, there are different types of love!

Agape - this is the perfect love that comes from God

Philos - Brotherly/sisterly (but not necessarily familial) love, platonic love. It is as powerful or more as romantic love, but has absolutely no sexual feelings involved. This might be how you feel for your best friend in the entire world.

Eros - This is romantic love, the love and desire you feel for your partner.

2More words for love Empty Re: More words for love Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:39 am

Louisa

It's thanks to Greek, actually, and you missed one: "Storge" - affection, often within a family context

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_words_for_love

Thanks for the post though - it would be nice if English had more ways of describing love.

3More words for love Empty Re: More words for love Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Kitt

Kitt

This is something I've had much frustration with myself - there are so many levels and kinds of love, and we really only have two words to talk about it: Love and Like.

Often, I'll try and use a lower case love to mean something less intense, but none-the-less real. Something more than "like like", but not nearly as intense as a soul-mate; for that, I use upper case Love.

I'm curious to see what other things more people suggest =)

4More words for love Empty Re: More words for love Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:35 am

Fu

Fu

Perhaps that's why, instead of single words, we have phrases; you know, metaphors and the like. Some are tired and overused, like, "I love you more than the world itself." Would you feel all that emotional if someone said something so cliche to you?

If I had someone I loved in the way of a lover, like True Love™️, I might say something along the lines of giving up everything to be with them. Okay, not a metaphor, but me arnt smrt enuff 4 that stuff.

There's also unconditional love, which can really apply to anyone, whether it be lover, parent, friend or sibling. Just letting them know that no matter what choices they make, you will always love them, and support them through the hard times.

I dunno, I'm blowing smoke out my butt. Heh. That sounds weird. I haven't read the rules of the forum yet, so I don't know the policy on swearing. Considering we hear the f word quite often in the comic (if my faulty memory serves correctly), the a word is probably fine, but better safe than sorry. I'll go read those rules now. Razz

http://fupas.wordpress.com

5More words for love Empty Re: More words for love Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:26 am

Silruin

Silruin

Love, like, adore, cherish... I think 'adore' is my favorite, but that's about as far as I can get.

When we were covering Kinsey Studies in my Human Sexuality classes, the Greek terms for various degrees and types of love were applied in a more human sense, mostly to the way in which a specific person tends to love another. 'Agape' was applied to those who seek long-term, equivalent relationships, often people who are successful in marriages. 'Eros'-type lovers were the exact opposite, moving from one passionate relationship to the next. 'Mania' was the frightening, obsessive kind of love, the dangerous 'I'd kill myself for you' sort. I can't recall any more off the top of my head, and I don't feel like Googling the rest.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum